Thursday, January 18, 2007

Gains Through Pains


While I was counting tiles on the bottom of the pool this morning, I got to thinking..."Gee, this kinda hurts". No matter if I am racing or training, I always have that moment within the first few hundred meters or so. However, I know that I'll work through it. It's getting to that point that really bites. When I was in the military the saying went, "PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY!" (for some reason, it was always yelled). I always thought, weakness can leave all it wants, but does it have to hurt so damn much?? I am not too sure if it is because I workout at 5:30am or that I am just waking up or perhaps both. Whatever it is, it sucks. Once I get past that stage, no problem. I can pick up the pace and get along with business. I have that same time and point when I am riding, get past it and I'm money. Until that point, I feel like I am dragging a boat anchor and the boat. I can't same the same thing when I am running because, to me running always hurts. The weight room is a whole other story. I love to lift and I have lifted pretty regularly since high school. So, when I wake up in the morning and I have to lift, I know that my whole workout it's going to hurt. To tell you the truth, I like it and I kind of get off on it.

I try and think how pain now is going to benefit me come July and August. Last year during a race, I was past inside the finish chute and finished fourth. To say I was pretty unhappy with myself would be a HUGE understatement. That single moment has gotten me through plenty of pain so far this winter. I imagine that it will get me a lot farther too. When it hurts, I think to myself, "4th place huh??".

No comments:

Post a Comment