Friday, September 07, 2007

The Boy has Skills

This totally has nothing to do with triathlon, but I had fun anyway. I was recruited to help out on my family’s land, I thought that I would have a good time so what-the-heck. We were installing a natural snow fence. I thought it was going to be really tough work digging holes in some REALLY rock soil and planting 5ft. pine trees all day long. Well, much to my surprise we had a backhoe when I showed up to work. Seeing this I instantly knew that our work would be cut by 75-80%. I had worked about a 2-3hours when my father in-law asked me to jump into the backhoe and start digging. Well, one small thing…. I have never operated a backhoe, or any other large piece of equipment. No problem, after a 5 minute lesson from the father in-law, I was off to work. I thought I almost broke it at one point, but I eventually got all the holes dug. I have to admit, I had a lot of fun. It’s kind of like when you were a little kid in the sandbox with your Tonka trucks, only a lot bigger. No doubt it was a long hard day of work, but I had fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment