Tuesday, September 04, 2007

A New Aero Position??

Last week I eluded to a little issue I had over this summer. My dear wife drove into the garage with my road bike on the roof of her Jeep.

Here's kinda how it played out:

My wife calls me at the office and asked if I was interested in getting picked up and taken out to dinner. I thought it sounded like a great idea and threw my bike up on the roof of the Jeep and had a wonderful dinner with my beautiful wife and awesome daughter.

We stopped on the way home to run an errand, no problem. OK? Picture this part, this is where it gets good. As we pull into the driveway, I was in the middle of telling my wife just how much I really love her and how awesome she is, then all of a sudden, BAM, CRUNCH!!!. We stopped and both looked at each other and simultaneously said, "What the hell was that?" Well, I think we both knew what it was and it wasn't pretty. This bike was straddling the doorway still locked into the now mangled roof rack. Speaking of the roof rack, the feet of the luggage rack were pulled through the sheet medal of the roof and ultimately had to be re-welded, grinded smooth and repainted.


To say the least my wife was not happy at all, as a matter of fact she was way more upset than I was. The way I see all of this is: nobody got hurt (this was absolutely the most important) and everything is fixable, well.... except for the bike.


I took the Jeep to the body shop to be repaired and of course I had to explain the entire situation to them ...... again. I thought they were going to laugh, but they didn't too bad. They actually told me of a woman in our small town that has ripped the lift gate off of her mini-van THREE TIMES. So, I don't feel bad. The way I see it is, I have two more chances before they start talking about me.


Everything has been repaired and I still love my wife. I got a new bike and it's pretty sweet too. I am going to part out what I can on my old bike and sell them on ebay. This should be able to feed my bike/triathlon addiction, at least for a little while anyway. All in all, it was a learning experience for all and life goes on.





1 comment: